Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Ramadanadingdong

So it's Ramadan, which I like, however in Qatar we are not allowed to eat or drink in public:

Adults found eating or drinking in public between dawn and dusk (the fasting time) during the holy month can be taken to task, said [lawyer] Mohsin Thiyab Al Suwaidi. The act attracts up to three months of imprisonment or a fine of up to QR3,000 or both under Article 267 of Qatar’s criminal code.

Dave and I have both fasted this Ramadan, although it is definitely not required of non-Muslims, and a few people have looked as us as though we were crazy (we are) when we told them we were fasting.

I am not fasting today, as it happens, and I think it's just ridiculous that I have to stand in the tiny department kitchen to enjoy a midday cup of tea and bagel.

All week I have been taking bagels from the cinnamon raisin bagel bag in the freezer. I had assumed they were cinnamon raisin bagels, but they were not. I guess I consolidated two bags at some point. On Sunday I brought cream cheese to go with my cinnamon raisin bagel, which was actually a plain bagel, so I craved cheese. On Monday I brought jalapeno jelly, but I ended up feeling like Paddington Bear all afternoon, despite my best efforts not to get my hands sticky. Today I remembered that the cinnamon raisin bagels were actually plain bagels so brought a jar of Cheez Whiz.

But I guess I still had some cinnamon raisin bagels left. Who says you can't put Cheez Whiz on cinnamon raisin bagels?

It tasted like Indian food, but I can't tell you why.

No comments: